Thursday, May 1, 2014

Traditional Mexican Guacamole {Food}



There is something about a familiar scent or food that can connect you to a special memory. For me, many traditional Mexican dishes will bring me back to my time studying abroad in Mexico during college. Because I spent my time in Mexico with a host family, I learned many traditional and fresh Mexican recipes that I enjoy because of the memories that come with them and because they are delicious. Since my time there I have been obsessed (literally) with fresh guacamole. This recipe is easy and quick, and full of healthy ingredients that get can overlooked when you add in a guacamole mix from the store. Cocinar feliz! 

: : Ingredients : : 
2 ripe avocados, 1 medium tomato, 3 green onions, lime, fresh cilantro, salt. 
Optional: crushed red pepper flakes or jalapeño. 
Serving size: 2

: : Recipe : : 

Slice the avocados and remove the seed. Scoop the avocado out of the peel and place in a bowl. Using a fork, roughly mash the avocado until it is somewhat smooth; there should still be some chunks of avocado in it. 

 Chop a medium sized tomato and add to the avocado mixture. 

Finely chop three green onions and add to the avocado mixture. 

Stir these three ingredients together. 

Next, add in juice from half of a lime. It may seem a like a lot, but this is what really takes fresh guacamole up a notch to give it that distinct flavor. 

Use about 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro (I had to use dry cilantro because I forgot to buy fresh at the store). This is also a distinct Mexican flavor. 

Finally, add in a pinch or two of salt. 

If you are looking for spice, add in some crushed red pepper from your spice drawer, or a fresh jalapeño if you have one on hand. 

Enjoy alongside your favorite chips and a fresh margarita! 








 : : Shop the Post : : 



 Photos by Angela & Preston Anderson


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...